Take our basic recipe below and twist it to your tastes…or try some of our scrumptious suggestions.
500 g beef or lamb mince
2 tbsp water
¼ cup tomato sauce
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
Combine the beef or lamb mince, water, tomato sauce and parsley. Mix lightly and shape into 4 burgers (or 6 smaller rissoles).
For cooking tips go to our “How to make the best burgers page”
Easy ways to flavour burgers
Using the recipe above, replace the tomato sauce and parsley with the ingredients below:
- Teriyaki onion lamb burger. Add half a 35g packet of French onion soup mix and 1 tbsp teriyaki sauce. Serve with sliced barbecued onions, and mixed salad leaves.
- Tex mex hamburgers. Add a 35 g packet taco seasoning mix and ¼ cup tomato sauce. Serve with shredded lettuce, grated tasty cheese, and chopped tomato and jalapeno chillies.
- Beef and barbecue sauce burgers (beef or lamb). Add ¼ cup barbecue sauce, 1 tbsp soy sauce and a good dash of Worcestershire sauce. Serve with slices of beetroot, tomato and avocado.
- Cheeseburgers. Add a small cube of cheese as a surprise filling for beef or lamb burgers. Form the burger mix into a ball and then press a cavity in the middle with your thumb. Add the filling and encase the mixture around it.
- Italian beef burgers. Add 2 cloves crushed garlic, 1 cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes, 2 tsp cumin, and lots of chopped parsley or basil.
- Pesto perfection. Add ¼ cup of black olive tapenade, basil pesto or capsicum pesto for instant flavour.
Spicing it up between the buns
- Aussie burger. Top the beef or lamb patty with some fried bacon and egg, a slice of beetroot, barbecue sauce and a slice of cheese. Lash out and add a slice of pineapple too.
- Rustic burger, full-on flavour. Top the beef or lamb patty with caramelised onion, chunky chutney and some crumbly cheddar cheese. See our ‘Great sides for your burgers’ page for a great little caramelised onion recipe.
- Lamb burger with a Turkish twist. Serve the lamb burger on some toasted Turkish bread with baba ghanoush dip, baby spinach leaves and cucumber ribbons.
- Salsa, add a little zest to your burger. Try serving with rocket or baby spinach and a simple tomato, basil and avocado salsa on beef or lamb burger.