So whether you want to keep it simple or add a flourish or two, inspiration is at hand!
Keep it simple – breads, sauces and salad
- Serve burgers on toasted buns, grilled pita bread or warm garlic bruschetta.
- A favourite sauce or relish that goes with the flavour of your burger is all the dressing it needs.
- Salad can just be two or three ingredients – something for crunch like shredded lettuce or baby lettuce leaves.
- Add other ingredients on hand such as sliced tomatoes, slices of avocado, even beetroot if it’s a favourite.
Salads and vegetables are an obvious choice to accompany a burger. Here are some thought starters
- Country Potato salad – add celery, parsley, chives, mint and a squeeze of lemon juice to your potato salad recipe
- Tomato, bocconcini, black olive salad
- Barbecued corn cobs
- Three bean salad
- Chunky tomato, avocado and onion salad
- Baby beetroot salad
Salsas and relishes
For delicious salsas and relish recipes to partner you burgers (or your steaks) click here.
Love chips with your burger? Then you’ll love these low fat ones!
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Peel four large potatoes, cut them into thick chips.
- Rinse them under cold water and then place them in a clean dry tea towel to dry them. Dry them thoroughly (this is the important part).
- Place the dried chips on a large non-stick baking tray (or a tray covered with baking paper).
- Spray lightly with olive oil and season with a little salt.
- Cook for about 35 minutes; turn them occasionally until golden and crispy.
Caramelised onions are always a great addition to a burger
- Slice 3 large brown onions
- Heat a little oil in a frypan
- Add onions and pinch of salt
- Cook slowly, stirring often over a moderate heat for about 10 or until onions are soft and translucent
- Add about 2 tbsp each of brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 10 minutes
- If the onions start to colour too quickly or stick to the pan, turn the heat to low.