Shepherds’ pie is a favourite that needs no introduction, it’s a comfort dish that everyone loves, and our versions made with bolognaise are especially delicious.
As easy as 1, 2, 3
- Start out with a tasty bolognaise sauce. See our hints and tips here - How to make the best bolognaise
- Add some veggies: - carrots, peas, beans and corn to the sauce. 1-2 cups of frozen mixed vegies is another quick option.
- Place mixture in an ovenproof dish.
- Top with mashed potato (that has been fluffed up with a fork). Sprinkle with cheese if you like, and bake until piping hot.
- You’ll need to cook and mash about 1kg potatoes to top the pie.
- Alternatively, you can use leftover mash and add other mashed veggies to it. Good combinations include mashed potato and pumpkin, or a mix of potato and sweet potato.
- Adding a little cream or butter to the mash makes it extra creamy.
How to make a creamy, smooth mash
- You will find Sebago, Desiree, Dutch cream, Kennebec Coliban, Golden delight, King Edward, Nicola, Pontiac, Red rascal, Spunta potatoes are all suitable for mash.
- Cut potatoes into large even-sized pieces and place them into a saucepan of cold salted water.
- Bring to the boil and cook until the potato is just tender when tested with a fork – do not overcook. If the potatoes are cooked for too long, they will become waterlogged, and you’ll end up with a soggy, tasteless mash.
- Drain the potatoes, return them to the saucepan and mash with a masher.
- Warm the milk (or cream) and butter before using a wooden spoon to beat into the mash. Beat vigorously and you’ll have a fluffy mash. Do not over-beat.
A food mill or potato ricer gives terrific results. You can also push the mashed potato through a sieve for a smooth texture. Don’t use a food processer, the mash will become a gluey mass, rather than creamy.
Add a little flavour
- Boil the potatoes in chicken stock with 2 peeled garlic cloves. Drain, retaining ¼ cup of the stock. Mash potatoes and garlic with cream, butter and the stock.
- Add ½ cup of grated cheese, like tasty cheese, parmesan or a pizza cheese mix, to add a little flavour and creaminess.