Tasty ideas for roast beef sandwiches
Start out with finely sliced roast beef, fresh bread and then add:
- Mustard, tomato and lettuce
- Cheddar cheese and mango chutney
- Tomato, cucumber and relish (try spicy tomato, capsicum or beetroot)
- Cream cheese, chives, rocket and red onion
- Tabbouli, coleslaw or potato salad
Make a ‘gourmet’ roast beef sandwich
Team your roast beef with some of these gourmet goodies for something a little different. Most items can be brought in jars from supermarkets or deli’s.
- Char-grilled vegetables – layer beef roast slices with zucchini, capsicum or eggplant.
- Artichoke and sundried tomato – make an open beef roast sandwich with sliced artichoke hearts and a few sundried tomatoes.
- Chillies (the mild pickled type) are good with beef roast. Spread crusty bread with cream cheese or mayonnaise, add roast beef, chillies and salad leaves.
How to roast a 1kg eye round (girello) beef roast
Eye round (girello) is a perfect roast cut for roast beef sandwiches.
- Preheat oven to 160ºC. Brush the beef roast lightly with oil and sear it on all sides over a moderately-high heat until evenly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the beef on a rack in a roasting dish. Roast for 40-50 minutes for rare, 50-60 minutes for medium and 60-70 minutes for well done. For ease and accuracy use a meat thermometer.
- Remove the beef roast from the oven, loosely cover with foil and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Slice the beef thinly to serve.