Protein-rich foods such as beef and lamb are excellent sources of a wide range of nutrients essential for good health.
- Beef, Lamb and Veal are:
- An excellent source of well-absorbed iron, essential for producing energy for brain and muscle function.
- A good source of zinc, important for a healthy immune system.
- Beef and lamb are a source of omega 3s, an essential, healthy fat that is also found in fish.
- All meats, poultry, fish and eggs are excellent sources of vitamin B12, a nutrient not found in plant foods. Vitamin B12 is important for healthy functioning of the nervous system.
Higher protein diets have been shown to be effective for weight loss and improving certain risk factors such as triglycerides (fat in the blood), cholesterol and blood pressure.
Click here for more information on effective diets for weight loss.
Just because you’re watching your weight, it doesn’t mean you need to hide yourself away from the world.
- If you’re going to a barbecue, a friend’s house or a party, take a dish along so that you know you will have something healthy to choose from.
- On restaurant menus, look for the words such as grilled, steamed, poached or stir-fried and avoid deep-fried, pan-fried, battered or crumbed dishes.
- Avoid sauces with cheese, oil, butter and cream.
- Take care with alcohol too, the energy it contains can hinder weight loss - 1 glass wine (150ml) contains approximately 420kJ which is equivalent to 1 chocolate biscuit and would take approximately 9 mins jogging (9kmh) OR 21 mins walking (6kmh) to burn off
Click here to read The Live Well Plan for more tips on eating out.